Sabado, Nobyembre 12, 2011

baby welcome kit

Most department stores will have a list of ''baby essentials''. I was lucky to receive the advice from a friend -not to follow the list since it is a marketing paraphernalia. That friend of mine was actually a ''victim'' since she bought everything on the list and she spent more than Php 30,000 just to complete the list. Also, I had my practical mom to guide me in my shopping.

Since a few of my friends are preggy and they are asking for advice on what to buy, I would like to share my own list of ''good'' baby stuff that worked for me:

1. Receiving blanket

Bought super cheap cotton ones from the department store. These can be bought also in divisoria or for those living in City of San Fernando, in your friendly palengke. They can be used as baby's towel, bed cover -especially if you are co-sleeping, blanket. Suggest to have at least 5 of this.

2. Diaper cloths

I use at least 2 of these each day. I put this on baby's head when he nurses so his head won't perspire as much. I also place it on top of the rubber sheet so that baby's skin will not directly touch the cold sheet. And for instances where the baby pees while changing diapers, you can cover it immediately so the urine it won't spill! I did not exactly buy these since we have old stuff that I just used but we also received some during the baptism and the best brand is Enfant.





3. Breast pump

What worked for me is a double electric pump by Medela since I am a working mom. I used pump in style advanced since I went back to work and until now that my baby is past 1 year old. 



4. Breastmilk containers

Aside from the 4 medela bottles that comes with my pump, I have 8 pcs of evenflo 4oz breastmilk storage bottles. Milk is kept in here for the rest of the workweek and the excess is being stored in the freezer.



I freeze milk using 8oz playtex milk liners and I follow the freezeing tips of one of the pumping moms.



5. Feeding bottles

Ideally, breastfed babies should be cupfed if the mother is away. However, no one in our family knows how to and is brave enough to try. So, we just opted to give breasmilk thru a bottle and just took the precautions to avoid baby rejecting mommy. Here is the list:

-For more than a year now, I just used and have 4 pcs of 9oz bottles of avent but we just use 2 on weekdays and none on weekends and holidays. I have a strict policy of: NO BOTTLE WHEN MOMMY IS NOT WORKING.

-nipple used is slow flow, 1 whole nipples until age 1. Principle behind it is: If the bottle is slow, breast will be preferred

-started giving bottle on the 7th week or 2 weeks before going back to work and it was introduced slowly. Half-day for the 7th week  and full work hours on the 8th. Suggest that you delay giving bottle for a longer period if you have longer maternity leave. It will be hard to give bottle for breastfed babies at the start but they will learn to take it. Just practice them with their caregiver and be really out of the house.



6. Baby clothes

Don't buy a lot of these since babies grow up so fast. The number should follow your laundry schedule with 1 extra set. I was lucky to get hand me downs and among those given to my son, the brand disney baby is the most durable and ''cottony'' of all--fit for the Philippine weather.

7. Socks and mittens

Have at least 5 sets of these. These are essentials in keeping baby warm especially at night.

8. Wash cloths, bath shampoo and soap

For new borns, some would use cotton pads to clean baby. But my mom suggested that we use wash cloths. They are soft enough for baby and you can save on shampoo and soap since it help create ''bubbles''. 


For soap and shampoo, these are the only ones I use since my son was born. Chicco might look expensive but since you only nead a very small amout each bath time, the biggest pump bottle was consumed for more than a year. Lactacyd is just used for his body for his first few months.




9. Nail cutter

This is one product that I love! So easy to use and you don't even need the lens to use it.



10. Cotton

Used this to clean him when he change his diaper. Instead of buying cotton balls, we just make them and placed inside clean and airtight containers.

11. Kidney basin

We got ours in the hospital take-home kit. This is where I place water when it is time to change diapers. If you don't have this, a small plastic bowl will do.

12. Cotton buds

Helps is cleaning his eyes and ear. Best brand so far is baby flow.

13. Petroleum jelly

I place a small amout in his but and sides before placing his diaper. Becuase of this, I can use cheap diapers in the morning.

14. Alcohol with moisturizer and spray bottle

Alcohol is a must supply especially when you have a new born. You will not use this on baby but on you and on anyone who wants to carry him has to sanitize their hands first.

Transfer the alcohol in a spray bottle so you won't spill and use too much when you sanitize.

15. Baby wipes

I only use this when we travel. Baby wipes causes diaper rash. It is still best to clean baby with water and cotton.

16. Automatic sterilizer or microwave container sterilizer

These are so convenient and the timed system ensures that you don't ''overcook'' your bottles and pump parts



17. Gun thermometer

We have the ear thermomether by safety first. Very easy to use and it gets temperature fast. You don't need to wait for a minute or 2 to check if baby has a fever. But there is a better version with a laser pointer option which can also be used to check water temperature during bath time.



18. Baby pillow

Used this to ''mold'' baby's head. But note that you still have to switch baby's side even if you have this pillow.



19. Hotdog pillows

This is ideal when you are co sleeping--to have a buffer between mommy and baby. I love the cheap ones or the ones you can buy at the palengke becuase they are not to stiff and not packed with too much cotton inside.



2O. Rubber Sheet

A must have for every diaper changing time. Just make sure it is not placed at the upper back of baby and not to directly placed on baby. Put a flded diaper cloth on top of it before placing baby.

Tipid tip: if you have friends and family members who are giving you their old baby clothes and stuff which are still in good condition, accept them for the following reasons:

-babies grow fast so most clothes that they wear will be for a maximum of 4 months;
-my lola said that babies who are used to hand me down clothes will value and take care of their things ---yes, an old wives tale that won't hurt if we follow; and
-most of all-SAVINGS!
 
For all hygine stuff, I make sure that what we use for my son are separated --even the containers of the consumables (i.e. cotton, shampoo, etc).

For all pasticwares that will be used to give milk or ''harvest'' baby's milk, make sure that they are BPA free.

This list was actually patterned after my work schedule and what worked with my baby. I suggest you do your own research before going baby shopping becuase what worked for me and my baby might not work for you. 

Lastly, this is not a paid ad...all brands mentioned here are actually what we use for our baby. :D

1 komento:

  1. Very helpful sis! I'm a first time mom so this really gave me an idea of what things to buy and prepare. Thank you so much. :)

    TumugonBurahin